RAINHAM HALL - THE NATIONAL TRUST LONDON
Built by Captain John Horle in 1729, Rainham Hall has been described as one of the country's finest examples of an early Georgian merchant's house. The Grade II* listed house was transferred to the National Trust in 1949 and remained closed to the public for almost 70 years until a Heritage Lottery grant enabled its extensive conservation and redevelopment. Due to Rainham Hall's tangled scheme of original decorative interiors combined with decades of alterations made by tenants, a different approach was made with regards to the building's conservation, display and presentation.
Conservation was undertaken to repair more recent damage but the historical grime and 'wear and tear' of surfaces was to be preserved. Conservation works were carried out on behalf of Hare & Humphreys, alongside specialist artist Marina Hughes.
The unusual approach taken of restoring damage to decorative surfaces deemed as modern, whilst preserving the historic dirt and 'wear and tear'
Area of chapel wall face with marouflage panel before and after conservation
Reinstatement of a severely damaged faux marble panel
Works included the reinstatement of a number of specialist decorative finishes such as the dragged effect to this panel
Care was taken to preserve historic dirt to the painted surfaces